Monday, August 20, 2012

Weekly Writing

Quote for the Day:

The most important thing to learn, is that you must unlearn.

~ Mam Dalsamon

I have been watching creative writing classes taught by Brandon Sanderson (author of Elantris) and thought I'd start to share some of the tips that I've learned from him.

Tip for the Week:

Writers write. Like everything else, becoming a good writer takes practice, so take every opportunity that you can get to write. Don't allow yourself to be that person who only writes when they feel like it. Believe it or not, readers can't tell the difference between our brilliant moments and the times when we had to slog through and make the puzzle pieces fit together.  

So based on that I have decided to post a writing prompt every Monday. I hope that this helps you all keep writing, even on those days you really don't feel it happening.

So, today's prompt:

 
Photo from www.danheller.com

Tell me a story about this picture. Do whatever you like, the only requirements being that it is in the picture's setting, and there must be something different about the water. It can be a magical river, it can be soapy, it can be bug infested...be creative! All that I ask is that this water play a role in the plot line. You have a 5,000-6,000 word count max/limit.

When you're done, post it on your blog and send me the link! At this point there are no prizes :( but I'd like to see what you guys come up with. All entries must be posted in the comments section by noon Friday. I will then post my prompt and the links from everyone else who submitted their stories.

Anyone is allowed to submit their story, but I am looking for G to light PG-13 stories. I will have a list of guidelines posted in The Study page, so you know what I won't post. If you have a question about your story send it to me at shaylanne1@gmail.com with the subject "writing prompt". I will try to get back to you within 24 hours. If you don't hear from me by Friday morning, use your best judgement as to whether or not you should post the story.

I'm so excited to get this kicked off guys!

Happy writing!

~Shaylanne

Remember that prompts are due by Friday at noon. Again, if you have any questions, just shoot me an e-mail at shaylanne1@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment